How to Keep Your Child Hydrated During Sick Season
Here are some tips to help
Babies < 6 months
Focus on shorter, more frequent feeds as your baby is able. Focus on nasal suction and steam before feeds to help.
Babies 6 months – 1 year
Breastmilk, formula, or an electrolye-containing solution like Pedialyte or pedialyte popsicles.
Children > 1 year old
Breastmilk, mild, oral rehydration solution (like Pedialyte, pedialyte popsicles, coconut water) or you can try ½ juice + ½ water if none of those are working.
How Much Do I Give?
How Do I Get My Child To Actually Drink?
- Make your own popsicles at home.
- Use a fun straw!
- Let them choose their own cup – novelty can help.
- Pretend you’re drinking something from your cup – kids love trying their parents’ stuff.
- Fun stickers on their cups.
- Have them help make smoothies or milkshakes with you.