Natural Allergy Remedies
Headache, congested sinuses, runny nose, and itchy eyes from allergies are no fun! They may not be life-threatening, but these symptoms are sure to reduce your quality of life. Whether you are struggling with seasonal allergies, food allergies, or another type, all-natural allergy relief is what you need in your life.
The never-ending cycle of getting allergies and stuffing your purse with Claritin and Zyrtec is not a root cause solution. So, I’m here to help you out!
Did you know allergies are a result of underlying imbalances or dysfunction in the body? AND you can actually address your allergies naturally by fixing the root cause! Many people just think they have allergies, and it’s something they will have to deal with forever. That’s not true!
I oftentimes in my practice see a huge association between candida overgrowth and allergies. There are tons of things that can predispose you to the overgrowth of candida, but using frequent and long term antibiotics as well as birth control or steroids, are common culprits.
I’ll give you tips on quick all-natural allergy relief as well as longer-term tips to implement into your life, so they don’t come back, or at least reduce your symptoms so you can go about your day without a congested nose or headache getting in the way.
What Are Allergies?
Allergies are due to hypersensitivity of the immune system. This means your immune system gets put on overdrive, causing damaging responses that can affect your whole body. Some of the most common triggers of allergies are pollen found outdoors, pet hair, dust inside, or particular foods.
When your body comes in contact with an allergen like pollen, your body releases a chemical called histamine, which works by helping to counteract the allergen.
Why do some people get allergies and others don’t?
Often times, when people struggle with allergies, it’s because their gut is damaged. In fact, the gut impacts pretty much your overall health! So, if you are struggling with poor gut health, other issues will manifest like skin issues, hormone imbalances and ALLERGIES!
The first thing to investigate when clients have allergies is their gut health. Also, the use of other testing to see if there could be:
- Candida Overgrowth
- Mycotoxins in the Home
- Dysbiosis in the Gut
- Food Sensitivities
- Food and Environmental Allergies
If I see or suspect an issue, specific protocols can be created to fix your gut, your diet, and your environment, and as a result, reduce your allergies.
These may include a combination of the following. But remember, each treatment protocol is different for everyone!
- Follow the 5R protocol
- Avoid certain foods for 3-6 months
- Eliminate hidden mold in your home
- Prioritize diet, stress management, and lifestyle behaviors
- Receive personalized supplementation
What can help allergies at home?
Here are steps you can take today to reduce allergy symptoms naturally.
Use Non-Toxic Products
The last thing you want to do is damage your gut more by exposing it to a boatload of toxins every day. When you reduce your toxic load, you’re giving your gut time to heal from leaky gut. Plus, toxic products just exacerbate the inflammation within your body, which makes allergies worse.
- Dryer balls
- Use a stainless steel water bottle over plastic ones.
- Swap toxic household products with Norwex!
- Ditch candles
- Avoid spraying fragrances/perfume.
- Use a high-quality water filter to reduce toxins in your water. I love the Berkey Water FIlter
Clean Up Your Diet
Limiting inflammatory foods like processed sugar, gluten, dairy, and alcohol will lessen your inflammation, and your immune response will improve. Instead, munch on some nutrient-dense foods and some brightly colored vegetables and fruits. This can help reduce your inflammation, heal your gut and balance out your immune response so your symptoms aren’t as bad in the future.
I find that avoiding conventional diary is especially helpful as it can cause you to produce excessive mucous. When you have excess mucous it only worsens and exacerbates allergy symptoms.
Check Your Indoor Air Quality
Of course, outside pollen is CRAZY, but did you know your allergies are also greatly affected by INDOOR AIR? Yep. I highly recommend investing in a HEPA air filter for your home. Place one in your bedroom or the most used place in your home. And don’t forget to replace air filters often!
Heal Your Gut Naturally
Healing your gut takes time. But including these simple but effective changes into your routine can help you find relief from your annoying allergy symptoms. Keep these things in mind when you are on your journey toward healing your allergies and enhancing your gut health!
- Avoid antibiotic use unless absolutely necessary.
- Take prebiotics and probiotics.
- Drink bone broth.
- Switch to Gluten-free flours/grains like almond, coconut, oat, or rice flour. My favorite bread is Siete!
- Prioritize stress management. If you’re under stress, your gut is going to take way longer to heal since stress contributes to an imbalance gut. Plus, your body will put its energy into stress response instead of healing.
Quick Natural Relief for Allergies
While you’re healing your gut and making the switch to implement lifelong healthy habits into your daily routine and home, here are quick all-natural allergy relief tips you can use to combat those allergy symptoms. This way you can enjoy your friends’ weddings and go on your dates without feeling blah the entire time!
- D Hist by Orthomolecular. Visit my online dispensary to have access to high-quality supplements shipped right to your home.
- Olive Leaf Sinus Rinse. This is an easy way to clean your nasal passages with a simple saline solution.
- Steamy showers with any breathe blend essential oil that contains things like eucalyptus, my favorite Essentially salvee.
- Use essential oils: Peppermint + Lemon Essential Oils: Carry in your bag and put a dot of each on your palms, rub together, and cup your hands over your nose and mouth while you breathe deeply. You can even diffuse & dot on temples or wrists.
- Consider getting a lymphatic massage. Local to Corsicana, TX Meagan Parrish.
- Avoid dairy and gluten
I hope these all-natural allergy relief tips help you out, so you don’t struggle with allergies forever! Remember, consistency is key. Stick with your healthy habits and your health will thank you for it.